6 Alpha’s Offshore Desktop Studies are undertaken in the form of a UXO threat and risk assessment, which scopes the prospective UXO risks and then designs a suitable and appropriate UXO risk mitigation strategy. This process ensures that the risks to intrusive engineering activities (typically investigation and installation) are reduced to ALARP.
The initial stage of the DTS involves describing (and justifying historically) what sort of UXO might be encountered and where. This is described in writing and depicted in supporting geo-referenced charts defining, where appropriate high explosive and chemical threats.
Drawing upon these findings, we then consider the potential methods of encounter subject to the type of investigative or engineering methodology being employed and the energy that is likely to be be generated. These risks of encountering and detonating UXO will be defined as a numerical function of probability and consequence; thus the risk assessment will be based upon numerically scored criteria that offers a semi-quantitative measure of UXO risk. For further information about our desk top study services, please contact us.
The benefits of our desk top study service include:
- The employment of the most comprehensive and up to date UXO relational data base in Europe;
- Highly accurate georeferenced threat data is supplied in supporting chart form;
- Transparent semi-quantitative risk analysis, delivers accuracy as well as wider project benchmarking, with other more conventional project risks;
- Clients and stakeholders are concurrently informed about UXO threats and risks, which drives risk mitigation planning;
- Corporate governance duties are not only discharged but also compliant with best practice (CIRIA), regulations and the law.